December 12, 2008
Question of the Week: Can a Partner Receive a Paycheck from a Partnership?
Filed under: News
Vision Payroll

This week’s question comes from Carl, a partner in a partnership. I am an investor in a partnership and own a 25% interest as a partner. I also work for the business that the partnership owns. Can I be paid through payroll, have tax withheld, and receive a Form W-2? Answer: It is long established in tax law that partners in a partnership are not employees of the partnership. In Rev. Rul. 69-184, 1969-1 CB 256, the Internal Revenue Service confirmed this, stating:

Remuneration received by a partner from the partnership is not “wages” with respect to “employment” and therefore is not subject to the taxes imposed by the Federal Insurance Contributions Act and the Federal Unemployment Tax Act. Such remuneration also is not subject to Federal income tax withholding.

Partners cannot receive a Form W-2 from the partnership. They may receive a draw from the partnership and must pay quarterly federal estimated tax payments to cover the amount of federal income tax and self-employment tax liability they will have, unless covered by withholding on other income. Vision Payroll can work with you and your CPA to determine an appropriate draw and estimated tax payment schedule. You can then receive the draw as a check or direct deposit with each payroll and schedule appropriate deductions such as retirement plan contributions. Contact Vision Payroll today to get started.


Submit a Comment

From New Hire to Payroll
With the Click of Button

Streamline Your Hiring
Process With

Tips / Latest News