January 28, 2009
Tip of the Week: You May Need to Update Your Name if You Got Married or Divorced
Filed under: News
Vision Payroll

If you got married or divorced and changed your name, be sure to give the changes to your payroll or HR department and to the Social Security Administration (SSA). This is true if you’ve changed your name to your spouse’s name, hyphenated your name with your spouse’s name, or changed your name to a previous name after a divorce or separation. If the name on your Form W-2 doesn’t match the name on file with the SSA, there may be a problem posting your earnings record to your social security account. Also, be sure not to include titles such as Dr. or Atty. and suffixes such as Jr. or Sr. with the name you provide to payroll or HR unless they are also listed on your social security card.

To change your name with SSA, file Form SS-5, Application for a Social Security Card, with the SSA. This is also a good time to make sure your spouse files Form SS-5, if necessary and also that any children who may have changed their name due to the marriage or divorce do so as well.

Vision Payroll strongly recommends that employees periodically review their social security earnings record and provide the SSA with the Form W-2 to update any incorrectly posted earnings records.


Submit a Comment

From New Hire to Payroll
With the Click of Button

Streamline Your Hiring
Process With

Tips / Latest News