October 16, 2009
Question of the Week: Do I Need a Separate EIN for My Single Member LLC?
Filed under: News
Vision Payroll

This week’s question comes from Kevin, a sole proprietor. I am forming an LLC and will be converting from a sole proprietorship to a single member LLC, but still taxed as a sole proprietor. Do I need a separate EIN for my single member LLC? Answer: As explained earlier, in TD 9356, the IRS announced that single member LLCs would be treated as corporations for employment tax purposes, but that the single member would still be treated as self-employed and not an employee of the LLC. Therefore, sole proprietors forming an LLC should apply for and obtain a new Employer Identification Number (EIN) using Form SS-4, Application for Employer Identification Number. Contact Vision Payroll if you have any further questions on single member LLCs.


Submit a Comment

From New Hire to Payroll
With the Click of Button

Streamline Your Hiring
Process With

Tips / Latest News