As previously described, the US Department of Labor (DOL) has launched its “DOL-Timesheet” smartphone application designed specifically to allow employees to track their daily hours worked. The app marks another step in the DOL’s strategic “Plan/Prevent/Protect” initiative of increased workplace compliance enforcement efforts. This app serves as a reminder to employers to make sure that their systems and processes accurately account for employees’ hours worked.
As more and more employees become familiar with, and start to utilize, the DOL’s timesheet app, they may become more likely to file wage and hour grievances with the DOL. For employers, an important protection against employee grievance filings is making sure that your business satifies its obligations under the federal Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA).
- Discrepancies between employer’s and employee’s records
- Employee manipulation of records for more pay
- Absence of employer records used as a basis for wage claims
Immediate Actions to Take
- Require employees and their supervisors to verify (with signatures) the accuracy of time records
- Review/update relevant employee handbook policies
- Make sure timekeeping systems are accurate and consistent
- Regularly audit the company’s time records
Learn More About the DOL Free Smartphone App for Your Employees
To get more details about the DOL free smartphone App for your employees, be sure to read the featured article by the HR pros at MyHRSupportCenter, The US DOL’s Free Smartphone App…Made for Your Employees, Part II. If you’re not yet signed up or would like a free trial of MyHRSupportCenter, contact Vision Payroll today.