The US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) recently released an updated Form M-274, Handbook for Employers. The handbook assists employers in completing Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification.
Form Has Eight Parts
Form M-274 is broken into eight parts, each dealing with a specific topic. The parts are:
- Why Employers Must Verify Employment Authorization and Identity of New Employees
- Completing Form I-9
- Photocopying and Retaining Form I-9
- Unlawful Discrimination and Penalties for Prohibited Practices
- Instructions for Recruiters and Referrers for a Fee
- E-Verify: The Web-based Verification Companion to Form I-9
- Some Questions You May Have About Form I-9
- Acceptable Documents for Verifying Employment Authorization and Identity
Establishing Identity and Employment Authorization
To establish both identity and employment authorization, a person must present to his or her employer a document or combination of documents, if applicable, from List A, which shows both identity and employment authorization; or one document from List B, which shows only identity, and one document from List C, which shows only employment authorization. Sample illustrations of acceptable documents are also presented.
Contact Vision Payroll for Further Information