Employers must ensure that any adverse employment actions are completely unrelated to claims an employee might make in terms of wage and hour issues. Learn about steps to avoid disastrous wage and hour class actions.
Six Steps You Can Take Today to Minimize Your Company’s Risk
- Don’t create a situation or reason for an employee to raise a complaint.
- Ensure that unpaid lunch breaks are at least thirty minutes long.
- Don’t make improper deductions from exempt employees’ salaries.
- Self-audit your exempt and non-exempt employees for proper classification.
- Self-audit your independent contractors to ensure they’re not employees.
- Provide wage and hour training for all supervisors and managers.
Get More Details on Wage and Hour Retaliation Claims
To learn more details about each of these preventive measures, be sure to listen to How to Protect Against Wage and Hour Retaliation Claims in this month’s HRCast, a recording provided by our team of HR Pros and available exclusively on MyHRSupportCenter.
MyHRSupportCenter Provides Alerts, Best Practices, and HR Tools Every Day
Visit MyHRSupportCenter regularly, not only for our HRCasts, but also to get late-breaking compliance alerts, best practices to implement, and HR tools to use every day. If you haven’t yet signed up and would like a free trial of MyHRSupportCenter, contact Vision Payroll today.